To obtain a Japanese Drivers Licence as a holder of a drivers licence in another country: a condition of application is that you have a valid international drivers licence and have been in Japan for at least 3 months after date of issue.
Apply at the Driver's License Center of your prefectural police.
As a general rule, it is necessary to take and pass the technical/knowledge test. You will need to bring:
- Application form
- International driver’s license
- Japanese translation of the International driver's license
- ”Photo for your application“
- "Resident's Card” with nationality
- If you had a Japanese driver's license in the past, please bring it