Japan’s banks are not flexible, but it is useful to have a bankbook and bank card when handling money.
- To open a bank account (to recieve a bankbook and bank card) see : “Open an Account”
- To send money overseas, this can be essential, but a hassle, see : “Overseas Remittance”
- To exchange foreign money into Japanese Yen, in some areas there may be a foreign currency exchange machine, in other areas only the bank will do this, be prepared for waiting times and fees.
- To exchange money into small coins there can be fees.
- To deposit money into your account, you can use the counter at the bank or an ATM (be aware this is a time-consuming process).
- To close your account bring the following to the counter :
When you first come to Japan you must register as a resident at your local municipality office. It becomes troublesome later if you have not completed this process. Please note that not all staff members are multilingual.
- When you first arrive complete a “Resident registration”
- When you settle to live in a town/city see: “Move In”
- When you move to another town complete the procedure for “Move Out”
- When renting a house or apartment see: “House”
- For information about having a cellphone see: “Cellphone”
- When you are going to leave Japan complete the proceedure for “Overseas Moving Out”
This is the office for your area, this is the office you will interact with most often.
- “Resident registration“, “move in“, “move out“, “Seal Registration“, “Type.1 National Health Insurance“, “National Health Insurance Premium(Tax)“, “Resident tax“, “Light Motor Vehicle Tax“, “Fix Asset Tax”
- Procedure for water and sewage
- Procedure for two‐wheeled car below 125cc
- Acquiring “Resident’s Card“, “Income Certificate“, “Income Taxation Certificate“, “Tax Exemption Certificate“, “Fix Asset Evaluation Certificate“, “My Number Card”
Hopefully you do not need to visit this office, if you go here it means you have a serious problem with your employment.
- Company’s labor-related Law and Regulations violation
- If a company doesn’t recognise an occupational accident due to an injury during work
- If your employer goes bankrupt and you are owed unpaid wages
- “Parking Space Certificate”
- Report of lost property
- Simple license renewal