Public Insurance

Social insurance holder or Non social insurance holder

Everyone has to pay for social insurance.

  • There are 2 types of general public insurance for health (“General Public Insurance (2 types)“), You should have either “Type.1 National Health Insurance” or “Type.2 Health Insurance(Company)
  • Japan has universal health care with health insurance either through your company/employer or the national health insurance. So if your company doesn’t have “Type.2 Health Insurance(Company)“, you must have “Type.1 National Health Insurance
  • If you fall into a gap in the system, don’t meet the requirements, or your employer has not involved you in “Type.2 Health Insurance (Company)“, you should complete a “Confirmation Request” to the goverment to clarify your position. If a confirmation request result is that you should have taken out “Type.1 National Health Insurance“, your late notification is likely to be accepted.
  • If you enroll for Type 1 National Health Insurance late the “National Health Insurance Premiums” can be back dated and you can’t receive medical service under insurance in the meantime.
    Belated request of Social Insurance System enrollment likely to be accepted under a condition of backdated payment. However the medical services under insurance you received in the meantime, will not be reimbursed.
  • You could use travel insurance but be aware treatment costs may be higher when using overseas travel insurance and you will need to show an insurance card/confirmation of insurance.


Employment Insurance

  • If you are eligible we highly recommend that you should take out “Employment Insurance“.
  • Insurance premiums are low and you can receive insurance payments in the case of an emergency. Be aware you may not be eligible for any payments until you have been paying towards it for at least a year.
  • Working holiday visa holders can’t take out this insurance.

Industrial AccidentCompensation Insurance

  • You don’t need to pay the premiums yourself for this, so you have to ask your company if they have “Industrial Accident Compensation Insurance“.
  • If you get injured or have a work-related illness while commuting or working, you must talk to your workplace before recieving medical assistance.

When don’t use the health insurance, Payment loss

Type.2 Health Insurance (Company)” and “Type.1 National Health Insurance” mean you may be able to write off the costs of medical care against your income when you complete a tax return, keep all hospital records and receipts to (see “Tax Return“)

Public InsuranceMedical Treatment

  • You may be able to defer payments.
  • If you do not have your insurance card with you when you need to recieve medical treatment you may need to pay for treatment, this can be returned to you by applying for a “Medical Expence Refund
  • Your insurance can also cover an equipment you need for treating injuries and massages for medical purposes.

When insurance can’t cover all medical treatment expenses

  • Consider using a “High-Cost Medical Expense Benefit” insurance, getting life insurance may also be able to help in this situation.
  • High hospital charges can be reduced but private room charges to have your own room in hospital are not covered.

Salary / wages compensation while ill or injured

Maternity Leave Allowance

If you lose your job, rely on insurance

If you leave your job or retire there may be government assistance you can access. If you meet the requirements you can apply for “The Basic Allowance” for unemployment.

Unemployment Office (the name of the office literally translates to “Hello Work”)

  1. Submit the following documents to the Employment Security Office for your area, apply for a job, then you will receive a decision on your eligibility (expect lots of paperwork)
    • Residence Card” or “Resident’s Card
    • Your Photo
    • Your Seal
    • Separation Notice” : a reason for leaving the job will be written by the employer in a “separation notice”, the employer should ask the employee if they have an objection to the reason recorded, employees can file an objection if they believe it should be different e.g. if it was the company’s decision but on the separation notice it is recorded as the employees choice
    • Employment Insurance Certificate
    • Bankbook” : must be for a bank including the post office, foreign-affiliated banks, but NOT internet based banking
  2. Briefing session: After step 1 a date and time for a briefing session will be specified, you must attend this briefing session. At the briefing session you will be given a “Qualified Recipient Certificate” and an unemployment certificate, you must bring these with you for all further interactions at the Unemployment Office.
  3. Every month you must aquire a unemployment certificate (expect paperwork)
    • Approximately three weeks after the decision on if you qualifiy as a recipient your next unemployment certification date will be set. After that, you must visit the Unemployment Office every 4 weeks to aquire unemployment certification, you must get this authorisation every month to continue to receive payments.
    • The Unemployment Office will complete an unemployment authorisation report on each certification day to confirm that you are not working, that you have tried to find a job, and that you can start a job immediately. You must come in person and it is an offence to answer dishonestly.
    • The Unemployment Office will set the dates of your certifications (every 4 weeks). If you have left a job for your own convenience there may be a limitation period (e.g. 3 months) before you will be given certification, your certifiction date would be set for once the limitation period has passed. Excellent
    • When you are given a date by the Unemployment Office you cannot change it except in circumstances outside your control e.g. sickness or you are attending an employment interview.
    • After you recieve certification as unemployed, you will recieve the “basic allowance” into your bank account in about a week.

There may be other allowances you can access

  • If you are unable to seek a job due to injury or illness, you will be provided with “Accident and Sickness Allowance“. The amount is the same as the basic allowance.
  • If you get a job while receiving the “basic allowance”, you can recieve a reemployment bonus (there are some conditions, for example, that the job was sourced through the Unemployment Office)
  • There may be an employment benefit for maintaining employment past retirement age.
  • The unemployment Office may help with educational training and vocational training.

Choosing to end a job or Retirement

  • If the reason for leaving a job on your “Separation Notice” is for your own convenience there will be a period of limitation where you will not be able to receive unemployment benefits or reductions in National Health Insurance premiums.
  • Be aware that companies may try to advise you to leave your job, or write in a separation notice that it is for your convenience, to avoid being penalised for dismissals.